On one side of the Zocolo is the Metropolitan Cathedral. After the Spanish conquest of Tenochitlan, Hernan Cortes began the construction of a church on this site. I'm not certain what happened to the original structure, or the one that came after it, but the cathedral to the right (and the following pictures) was begun in 1626.
After touring the Zocolo and the Cathedral, we stopped for a bite to eat. Here is a picture of the street where we ate. It is typical of a street in this part of town.
Across the street from where we ate was a street muscian. They are fairly common and always very good with the violin. I was impressed with the guy to the right. While we were eating, a TV camera and reporter appeared. He played for the TV audience and for us!
I took the next picture through the bars on a fence to show the difference between street level and the entrance to a cathedral. The difference was about 5 feet. There is a sidewalk that goes from the street into the entance of the church. Inasmuch as Mexico City was built on a marshy lake bed, large buildings have a tendancy to sink (and they continue to sink). For this reason, many of the roads and the sidewalks are in difficult conditions. It takes a lot of effort to keep up the infrastructure.
1 comment:
Well it looks wonderful dad! Wish I was there with you. I have dreamed of things like that my whole life!! We love you very much and miss you!1
Amy
Post a Comment